- DO read and follow instructions carefully before submitting your form.
- DO save your work as you go along – it can be helpful to come back later and look at it again with fresh eyes’.
- DO print out the completed copy, proofread it and get a friend or relative to check it.
- DO keep the printed copy to look at if you get an interview or to copy material from in the future.
- DON’T be tempted to complete the online form without first writing a draft.
- DON’T be too informal or treat it as you would e-mail.
- DON’T exceed any word counts specified within the form.
- DON’T use silly e-mail addresses to send it from (and use a sensible password in case you need to contact the employer to remind you of it!).
- R. Fein, 100 Great Jobs and How to Get Them, Impact Publications (1999)
- R. Fein, 95 Mistakes Job Seekers Make and How to Avoid Them, Impact Publications (2003)
- M. Messmer, Job Hunting for Dummies, IDG Books (1999)
- M. Parkinson, Your Job Search Made Easy, Kogan Page Ltd (2002)
- J. Seely and J. Leigh, CVs and Job Applications, Oxford University Press (2004)
Dealing with application forms
The form itself
Online application forms: Dos and Don’ts